Friday, April 15, 2011

Approved!

It wasn't without it's share of suspense, drama, foot-dragging, procrastination and the like, but finally my travel to the U.S. was approved. It all had to happen according to a very specific plan and along a very specific timeline, but as can be the case when you have both faith and determination, it appears that everything has worked out.  I spent a wonderful week seeing close friends and family and of course spending as much time as possible with my sweet sweet Amy.   It was so necessary to see all those lovely people and for them to see me.  My heart is now running on full and the next three and a half months don't seem like much of a chore at all.  So as I wait for my connecting flight to Riyadh, I finally have the opportunity to relate some things I noted.

When it finally became a reality that I was gonna get to go home (a whole 17 hours before I was supposed to fly), I thought there would probably be quite a few notable instances of reverse culture shock to pass along.  I thought that seeing women galavanting around freely and uncovered would blow me away and that the ability to order a pivo in public would be just too much for me to take.  The truth turned out to be that I couldn't have been more wrong.  What ended up being surprising was just how much those things weren't shocking at all-- not even a little.  I immediately recognized and understood everything as the way that it is everywhere else in the world.  Instead of being blown away by the freedoms of the world outside of Saudi due to my previous withdrawal, I just kind of noticed them and said to myself, "oh yea, that's what it's like", and casually carried on unaffected.  Reverse culture shock failed to have it's impact.  Other than not being blown away by anything particular, I did notice a few things that weren't "Oh my god, have I missed this" type deals but were more like "Gosh, this is nice".

Two things I noted that were really nice to experience in the States and specifically in my home state of Indiana were as follows:

         1) Tap Water.   It is delicious and free and I can drink absolutely as much of it as I like, with no ill affects, all the while improving the strength and density of my teeth.  Tap water in Saudi isn't all that dangerous, but it's extremely hard, doesn't taste right, and if you drink more than just enough  to wet your whistle you might not feel right for the next couple days-- bathroom wise. To have seemingly unlimited, fresh, and delicious water at my fingertips, not to mention for free at  restaurants and bars, was enough to fill my heart with nostalgia for the good old U.S. of A.  It also made me appreciate growing up somewhere that has easy access to fresh, clean water-- something 1 billion people in the world can't say.

          2.) The Weather.  More than just being happy to enjoy the sunshine and not hide from it, my experience in the great state of Indiana reminded me how much I love four distinct seasons.  Spring particularly-- doing it's springing-- made me realize not only that I hadn't been in the US during the season of love for quite some time, but that I hadn't been in Indiana in the spring in 9 years!  I was overwhelmed with memories taking me right back to my high school days of driving my truck and somehow avoiding prosecution amidst all our teenage antics.  Four seasons are such a luxury and spring, with it's returning sunshine, thunderstorms, smells and sounds, trails only autumn as my favorite of all. Yea, sometimes spring takes too long to come, winter can suck, and summer can be brutal as well, but the transitions and the good moments make it all worth it, to me at least. A lot of places don't ever get it so good.

So now, as I sit at the bar in the Abu Dhabi airport waiting for my connecting flight, I'll continue to ponder what it was about the States that was so nice.  I'll also consider all the things that were cause for worry or that inspired hope.  The ladder hopefully outweighing the former.  But we'll see.  Meanwhile, it's back to the desert.


No comments:

Post a Comment