Thursday, February 10, 2011

Exercises in Maybe: The Veil

I think it's a natural reaction when confronted with something foreign to be skeptical.  It's easier to dismiss something as wrong or misguided, stupid or antiquated when at first sight it seems so different from what you're used to.  It's especially easy to do when whatever it is goes against morals you've been raised to believe in, morals that seem both essential and logical.  And stepping outside of your own skin can be nearly impossible in these situations.  When dealing with cultural differences this applies as much as with anything, and the supposed "gulf of understanding" or in more extreme terms,  "Clash of Civilizations" between the Muslim world and the West only makes these feelings more pronounced and in a lot of ways more socially acceptable. So as a means of an exercise in "perspective transplantation", I've decided to take the opposite approach, to assume that things most foreign and seemingly wrong about what I happen to see might just happen to be the opposite, and that I and my socialized morality structure are what might be misguided.  And so here begins the multi-part series:  Exercises in Maybe.

 ____________________________________________________________________

The Veil

Maybe all women everywhere including in magazines and on film should wear the veil.   Maybe they should all wear burkas.  They should cover their hair, arms, necks, legs and faces.  Their figures should be in no way discernible.   I'm not saying they should be forced to do it-- that is a leap in perspective that I'm not so willing or able to make-- but instead that maybe they should volunteer to do it out of humility, and in the interest of curbing so many of society's ills.  Think of some resulting effects.  

If no one knew who was beautiful and who was not, how could there be jealousy? Or vanity?  Would we have problems with women killing themselves to be thin or going under a plastic surgeon's knife to live up to the impossible standard that magazines, movies and television have led us to believe define what is beautiful?  Would we have women walking around so high and mighty based solely on the merit of their looks?  It's hard to think you're hot stuff with a black sheet over your entire body.  Would divorce rates be so high?  Since the introduction of satellite television and western movies here, for example, divorce rates have risen astronomically.  Is this because men expect that they too can have a woman as beautiful as the ones they see on the silver screen and are disappointed when they don't?  Wouldn't we start to assign more value to qualities other than physical beauty?  Wouldn't we be able to appreciate women more for who they are?  Maybe we'd be happier?  

Maybe men really can't be expected to control themselves.  Maybe women have to be covered in order to escape covetous stares.  Maybe I wouldn't mind if no one knew my sister or my girlfriend were beautiful.  I wouldn't have to hear my college buddies give me grief about the former that's for sure.  Maybe a woman's beauty should be saved only for the man she loves.  Maybe publicly displayed individuality is just another form of vanity.  It's possible it would be a better world if everyone wasn't always walking around trying to impress everybody else.  Maybe men should be covered too.  That way physical appearance is taken completely out of the picture. (pun?)

It's easy for westerners to see all that's wrong with the veil.  But for a lot of women who support it, it makes sense.  It shows humility before both god and man.  It shows piety and attempts to remove the ego.   And maybe we could all use a little more of that.   Maybe.


2 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking. I reread this and then sat for nearly 20 min. thinking this over. I think you are right in that perhaps it would soften jealousy and vanity a bit. I do think though, it's in human nature to seek beauty and we all have different views in what we as individuals see as "beautiful". Even if we veil ourselves, I think we would still seek out glimpses of beauty and appreciation of the like, if only the eyes being the catching factor. As a woman now into my thirties, it does appeal to me to think of not having the insecurity of another more beautiful and younger woman catching my husbands eye.....but with the same breath I can't help but feel ashamed of even thinking so. There will always be temptations. There will always beauty. It's finding and connecting with goodness and truth of love that gives us strength to only just appreciate and move on. But I see your points and appreciate your willingness of exploring a somewhat controversial idea. You, yourself, are blessed with exceptional physical beauty (Amy, I am not hitting on your man, Im a happily married woman:))and I can't help but ask you, if it were an option for men to veil themselves, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In practice i wouldn't wear a veil. In trying to understand and sympathize with those who support it or some of the ideas i thought could be behind it, i did find a lot of what it could represent and be trying to create pretty cool. Ultimately though, I think that people deserve the freedom to wear the veil or not, and I would choose not to. I guess maybe I hold human beings to a high enough standard to be confronted with, understand and resist temptation; and also to be able to appreciate the love and bond that two people committed to each other can share. and after a comment like that, maybe my choice not to veil is possibly seeded in a little vanity. gosh. :)

    ReplyDelete